4 December 2016

hey there, hong kong!

Location: Hong Kong
If you follow me on social media (instagram @jennyjzhou, shameless plug), you would know that I venture my ass to Hong Kong quite often. I do have a few friends there and the 2 hour flight from Shanghai to Hong Kong is only a Hollywood blockbuster or a nap away!

Here is a collection of memories from my past few trips...

THINGS TO DO

Aqua Luna 
If you don't get seasick...must do!
Aye aye captain. Unfortunately, we booked on a stormy day but that was a blessing in disguise, as the clouds rolling in looked INCREDIBLE!
Takes off just before sunset so you get to see the view by day and  night. Your ticket also covers free flow alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks.
Get on early so you can get a kingly lounge seat hehe.



SHOPPING

Joyce Beauty
My all time favourite. Here you will find cult American beauty favourites like Kate Somerville, Perricone MD and more higher end asian brands like Tatcha.

Causeway Bay  
Or CWB as more lovingly known. A mecca of shopping centres.
You will find what you want (but not necessarily need) here.

Central
A strip of shops, high end and high street.
I only come here for the Topshop, as Shanghai neglected to incorporate it into their fashion industry.

Times Square
A shopping centre of high end luxury brands but on the outside, surrounded by beauty stores and smaller brands.

Harbour City
They have the BIGGEST Joyce and Joyce Beauty here. This is generally packed everyday, and has a lot more locals and your fellow asians. It is on Kowloon side, so you can take a ferry over and absorb the views while you're at it.

FOOD

Yum Cha
Look how cute it is !!! Nevermind the slightly exxy price, the fact that you will never finish eating all those cute buns, and that it doesn't measure up to yum cha in Melbourne.
Pics or it didn't happen right?
PS, do try the Koppaberg strawberry & lime cider



Elephant Grounds
Don't judge this place by my below sub-par photo. But the menu is so cute and has little illustrations all over it. The wooden and greenery overloaded setting is totally my cup of tea.
The pancakes were like eating sweet clouds and they also have this ice cream sandwich that is like thick malt flavoured ice cream in between two massive macaron biscuits.
PS, the wall outside makes for a killer artsy fartsy photo




Seasons by Olivier E
 

Mott 32
I was kindly invited here by a friend to try their food out, it is a Chinese fine dining restaurant at the basement of a building.
I have NEVER EVER EVER NEVER had such amazing char sieu (is that how you spell it) in my life. It just MELTED in your mouth HOMGGGGG can't get over it.
The desserts tasted like they came from a top dessert/pastry chef, and not Asian at all
PS, the Hong Kong iced tea, cute as it may look, is laced with alcohol

 


DRINK DRANK DRUNK

Aqua
Views views views !!!!
This place also doubles as an expensive fancy dining restaurant on the level below (but psst, the food ain't that great I heard...)
Definitely go here at night when all the lights are shining. I ordered a cocktail with raspberry in it, one of the nicest I've ever had !

 

Sugar
They have a drink called the Victoria's Secret and it has strawberries in it! Ladies, need I say more.
Over on the TST side, you get a different view to the skyline ones back over on Hong Kong Island.

 

Sevva
'Where all tourists and expats must go at least once'
Drinks are quite pricey (expect to pay ~150HKD for a cocktail), and don't taste the best but...

 

Ophelia
This place is WEIRD. Funky, sexy, slightly uncomfortable...an experience to be had.
I would show you pictures but
a. I felt too awkward taking pictures of the dancing 'peacock' ladies
b. I don't want to take away from the surprise of the first impression
When you walk in, it is completely different from what it will be like inside. Taking inspiration from 1920s Opium Shanghai, it has a sultry feeling, drowned in shades of emerald and peacock feathers. There are dancers dresses in qipao's walking around, dancing on the bar and also in 'bird cages'.
I can't explain anymore, just go and see for yourself!

Iron Fairies 
One of my favourites!!! Not for the drinks, but for the interior and I BELIEVE IN FAIRIES - whoever goes to a bar for the 'amazing' drinks anyway?
Us girls, had a watermelon chocolate marshmallow cocktail. There is food available also !


My adventures so far in Hong Kong...will be collecting more memories, so leave your suggestions below!


3 comments:

  1. all i did in hong kong was eat dim sum everyday LOL
    Where is that place with the cute buns??

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's on des voeux road in sheung wan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm in HK :)

      Delete