16 September 2015

Weekend Wanders in Guilin China

Location: Guilin, Guangxi, China

Guilin was the most eye-opening and memorable and exciting trip I've ever been on. Mostly thanks to my friend Lauren for pushing me to do things and explore places I would never do on a usual holiday and also the fact that we surrounded ourselves with local culture and talked to the locals about their lifestyles.
Click below to see the rest of my photos from the trip (featuring some lovely shots from my friend Lauren Robinson as well).
Click through to see the collection of memories we brought home with us :)
Elephant Trunk Hill


Guilin ----- Yangshuo

These are the views from our lodge in Yangshuo
Yangshuo Phoenix Pagoda Fonglou Retreat 
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303712-d2283323-Reviews-Yangshuo_Phoenix_Pagoda_Fonglou_Retreat-Yangshuo_County_Guangxi_Zhuang.html
(highly recommend the staff were awesome so friendly and helped us with everything, they also have amazing English and their kitchen cooks THE BEST food)


Silver Caves, Yangshuo
DO NOT go on the weekend, I've never seen so many people in my life and it was so hot and stuffy and not fresh smelling.
I do not recommend this attraction, it was pretty for about the first 10 minutes then the rest of the 30 was just repetitive. Also, it was way too commercial just colourful lights everywhere and all the sort of mother nature, natural environment felt like it had disappeared.
I wouldn't put this on the top of my list of things to do in Yangshuo.


Farm to table lunch with this amazing view !


Post lunch adventures exploring the local neighbourhood...

gah ! how cute is he !!

 
 

What a cutie ! 
Dinner time on a raft...on the river...
Must try: BEER FISH 啤酒鱼
did not manage to figure out whether they actually have beer in the dish but it was DELICIOUSSS
My friend also had looped meat which is a local delicacy as well


West Street 西街 
This place was PACKEEEEED, if you're into markets and the hustle and bustle and buying over priced souvenir like things check it out.
The food made it worth it and I picked up a gorgeous patterned dress.


LAST DAY
Guilin noodles to start the day !


Here are the long awaited photos for the...
BAMBOO RIVER RAFTING


Happy little vegemite, our driver ! 

LUNCH TIMEEE

Beer fish again !

Moon Cave
(Because there is a hole in it shaped like moon LOL)
The climb is CRAAAZY it says 800 steps but it felt like 8,000 it was so steep and a lot of the steps were just like vertical wall climbs, please come in gym gear and bring lots of tissues to wipe your sweat LOL.
The view was nice but apparently it gets nicer...right before you make the turn to the viewing point there is a track that has a sign that says you're not allowed to walk in...Our hotel owner said DEFINITELY WALK IN IGNORE THE WARNING SIGN HAHAH
It lets you climb even higher and THAT is the BEST view of Guilin.

This 80 year old lady climbs to the top every day with her super heavy bag selling soft drinks at the top. Lauren and I tried to carry her bag and we couldn't even lift it.

Do you see the moon
The people at the hotel took us to a local secret, this place was AMAZING.
The climb was ridiculous, so dangerous but PHWOARHHH

Our tour guide said that the farmers hid in this area when the during the Japanese invasion.
Local farmer invited us to share some of his freshly grown peanuts !

Congratulations ! You've made it to the end of the photo set. (I hope I haven't used up all your data allowance) And I hope these photos have inspired you to go to Guilin.
Seriously one of the most under-rated places. For someone who doesn't really appreciate China, this place showed me a whole other side of this country, I have never seen something so beautiful in my life. It was such a cultural experience and really so eye-opening. Even after just 2 short days of climbing and riding through every inch of this place my size 5 feet could take me, I feel like it has changed me.
Yangshuo Guilin, a must see ! 
Put it on your bucket list.
(Photos taken on GoPro Silver 4, Canon EOS 50D, iPhone 6)

Some sunset photos for the ride home...
Love, 
Jenny












No comments:

Post a Comment